Translate

Thursday 28 June 2018

Bulgaris Hungaris.


               Date:-   Wednesday 27th June.
               Place:- Somewhere on the 1945 Bulgarian-Hungarian border.
               Time:-Anytime you want it to be.

                                                     
                                                                               Vs
                                   Tonight's set too was a Second World War scrap in a not oft fought part of the world in this case the Hungarian/Bulgarian border with a mythical encounter fought around and in  some un-named border village.This was an excuse for Colin to get out some unused toys that he had accumulated through the years and a lot of them were getting a first outing which is usually kiss of death.
A sleepy Bulgar/Hungarian village

about to get a rude awakening.
                                 My sparring partner for the evening was Dave O'Brien who took the part of the Hungarians whereas yours truly took command of some Bulgarians complete with two Bulgarian marked Panthers and supported by their new allies the Soviets.
Panther complete with Soviet star.
                                    My forces as I said had a couple of Panthers and an Su 100 to back up my mixed force of Bulgars and Soviets.The sight of the Panthers got Dave into thinking how to dispatch them without any loss to himself.
Who said women could drive?
                                            Dave's forces consisted of some unusual tanks.Two Zrinyi 11 assault guns ,two Nimrod SP AA guns,a Turan 11 tank and the piece de resistance a Brummbar.A fine array of armour but without a real punch to them especially if the target is a Panther.His armour were supported by Hungarian infantry supplemented by a SS squad.It looked like I was going to be in for a busy evening.
A brace of Nimrod SP AA guns.

Turan 11 tank.
                       
Brummbar!

The Hungarian armour was rounded off with two Zrinyi assault guns.
  We both picked the same objectives which were to take and hold the crossroads in the village and as in every start to a game we headed full pelt for the village and the cover of the buildings which in my case was to be negated by Dave's armour as most of his armour had howitzers and were ideal for doing away with cover as my first casualties found out when the Brummbar waddled into town and decimated the building directly in front of it causing my entrenched infantry to be vaporised.
My Soviets have arrived.

Complete with gun albeit useless.

Tight fit.

My Bulgarian infantry about to be cannon fodder for the Brumbarr.
                                The start of the game wasn't going my way as firstly one of Dave's infantry squads took up residence in one of the objective buildings and to add insult to injury one of his Zrinyi's did away with my mortar team who were just getting into position to reek havoc amongst the Hungarian peasants.My Su had entered the village and drew a bead on Dave's Turan but as well as having a female commander must have had a female gunner because she couldn't shoot for toffee and ended up missing the barn door.
Dave's armour creeps forward( if Donald was here it would be classed as skulking).

Dave's two Nimrods having a cuddle.
                                               Colin had decided dinner would consist of pizzas made in the local pub so after being informed by the Duchess of Garvald that she was hungry us three men headed for the pub albeit very reluctantly -not!We had to wait for the pizzas to get made so we partook in a little refreshment before being joined by the Duchess as the football she was watching had reached half time.The pizzas were duly enjoyed and we continued with the game.
The local inn and pizzarai.
                                                    The second half kicked off with a resounding success (and the only real one with my avenging Su firing at and destroying the Brummbar.Dave's infantry headed into one of the buildings only to be joined by one of mine and a fracas took place on equal terms apart from the fact that mine were  armed with machine guns and therefore  having twice as many killing opportunities cleared them all out albeit with six casualties from my own squad.
Target acquired (in Bulgarian)

Booyah!(in Bulgarian)
                                                     I thought then that the game was turning in my favour so I went for an air strike on one of Dave's squads but this is were my good fortune ended as in throwing a one gave Dave the chance to move the airstrike marker anywhere he wanted so placed it right on top of  my artillery piece resulting in its destruction and causing collateral damage on some of my remaining units.It was going to be a long evening defending what I had which wasn't much.
About to be vaped.

A typical Bulgarian traffic jam.

More creeping Hungarian armour

making my armour  take a pasting!
                                                 Dave kept up the momentum by concentrating his armour fire on one of my Panthers and although they couldn't do it any damage kept it pinned down making it quite useless apart from  keeping the Hungarian armour amused.My Su found itself in a not so target friendly environment
My not so elite assault engineers after retreating to a nearby wood.



 as it had only an anti tank gun and Dave's armour was cowering behind concrete walls.One of Dave's squads did make an attempt to assault my tank but my all female tank crew just giggled in their faces as girls' do.try as it might the Su couldn't get a bead on any armour and when it did it wasn't worth the ammunition.
The Panther takes the initiative at last.
                                     In a last gasp attempt of securing victory from the jaws of defeat I foraged with the other Panther intending to look for targets of opportunity.This came in the form of one of the Zrinyis which was duly dispatched but no sooner had I congratulated myself Dave shot and disabled my tank with a sneaky panzerfaust shot in the Panther's rear.Bummer!
The target of its amorous intentions.
Even it can't miss!
                                                    The evening drew to a close with Dave scoring a very narrow victory as he took charge of three buildings whilst I only had one.The devious Hungarians had won but if hadn't been for that b***dy pilot things would have been different.He is now spending his summers(and winters)in the nearest gulag.
                                            Another great Garvald production with an evening of unusual toys and great pizza.
                                                 See You When I See You.
                                           

1 comment:

  1. A narrow victory?
    I actually had control of four of the five buildings and how many infantry did you have left? Typical Soviet propaganda! 😜

    ReplyDelete